{Back Yard} Garden Refresh


Hello Friends!

Way before Corona hit the world, I've been planning on doing a little makeover to my backyard garden. It was expanded last year after finding a ton of free rocks on the curb nearby the house. After three trips home with them, two beds were created. The garden soon took over and it was out of control, especially the loofah plants. But it always looked bad. The grass died, luckily, and it was just needing some help.

Before, looking towards the garage. I had everything but the mulch on hand, so it was just a day's worth of labor and $20 worth of mulch. The day was on the chillier side but look at that bright, blue sky! 


Before, looking towards the shed (kind of). The galvanized container got shifted to the far right and I had moved the cattle panel, not pictured, away from the fence to put somewhere else. All the rocks near the fence were also moved by yours truly. It was a nice arm workout. 


And because I hate working with gloves, although I probably need to get some, my hands got dirty. 


 And after, looking at the garage. Some day maybe the garage will be fixed up with different siding. The front and sides are brick but this extension was wrapped in this weird fake brick junk that looks like shingles. It works for the time being and may just be covered up with a trellis or something. Suggestions welcomed! It's West facing but gets a lot of South afternoon light. 



So, with the help of about 10 bags of mulch (the $2 kind from Walmart), and reusing all the stepping stones that I had been piling up as other parts of the yard were being changed, I created the above photos. I moved the galvanized rectangular raised bed form and loaded it up with compost and dirt that had settled from the first time it was back there. It now houses a blackberry or raspberry plant (it was new last year and never produced so I can't remember). It's spiky as can be though, so who knows if it'll stay here or get some trellis help or something. Gardens are always changing here. I may still move the rocks that run parallel to the fence to a different area of my yard, but time will tell.

I then moved two terracotta pots back next to my new bug hotel that I'm working on as the plants that were in them on the South Side Garden died. I thought they looked nice by the fence. I then moved a terracotta succulent (or strawberry?) planter to the bug hotel as it's never grows anything on one side and would be a nice way to block some chunky chickens from devouring all the bugs. 

I'll be back to post about the bug hotel as it's a work in progress. I think it's a good start and after some more additions, it'll be a great space for our buggy friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading The Brick Bungalow! Please feel free to leave comments, I always look forward to them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...