Today's mission has been accomplished! It is my last day of Spring Break and I was able to finish the second coat of paint on the door jams (it still needs a third but I can't do that right now), the office has been mopped (once, but it needs a LOT more attention and probably some deep scrubbing by hand), the carpets have been vacuumed AND I just finished shampooing the entire room!
I feel like such a relief has been lifted. There is still a lot of little things that need to be accomplished and some stains that are pretty deep in the carpet from all the construction, but we have come so far!
Now, the carpets need to dry for a day or two (we'll give them to the weekend seeing as we both work) and maybe, just maybe (as in, if I can twist Doug's arm and possibly another strong person!), we will be moving up to our room this weekend!
So... just for me (and anyone else who is still curious, but I doubt there's many of you left as this has taken YEARS)... here is the list of what still needs to be done...
1. Doug's closet - we have the brackets and some shelving, but we haven't installed anything.
2. My closet needs the rod installed. We have it, but it needs cut and screwed in for security.
3. The windows need to be washed and the labels need removed.
4. The last piece of carpet on the stairs needs to be pulled up. I almost did this today but it's nailed in on one step and I felt like it would be better to finish cleaning than rip up something that doesn't necessarily need to be done asap.
5. Finish cleaning the office.
6. Varnish the shelves in the office.
7. Reinstall the toilet and sink and turn water on in the bathroom.
8. Finish cleaning the bathroom (you don't realize how helpful water is to the cleaning process of a tub until you don't have it!).
9. Install light fixtures (we have 'em!)
10. Install fan above bed
11. Install smoke detector.
12. Install proper lights to the crawl spaces/attic storage areas. We are doing this to prevent a fire in there as the lights aren't protected from anything.
13. And of course, finish painting.
14. Oh, and not that it will happen right now but I'm thinking of having a new handrail installed. I HATE the pipe that we currently have (yes, it's just a round, metal pipe) and would like a stained wood that would match the stairs.
15. And, speaking of stairs, decide what to finally do - replace carpet with a new runner or do the white risers and stained wood step look that is so popular.
And that, my friends, should be it.
We can obviously do a lot in a short amount of time. If I could install lights by myself and not either shock myself or kill myself, I'd do it. Same with the fan. But I might as well wait until I can have some help.