{Outside} Hostas

I almost named this one "Hosta La Vista" but then thought that was too much...

When we bought the house 5 years ago, there were some hostas that we knew would need seperated. Fast forward 5 years and we finally had a weekend afternoon where Lily was asleep and we weren't planning on doing anything else. And it was a nice day out. Those three things (nap, free time, and weather) hardly ever happen when both of us are at home. So we took advantage of it and finally tackled the hostas. Or I did anyway, Doug was busy tackling the rest of the overgrown bushes, stumps, and cleaning up the backyard after Lily's playground.

I promise to some day take photos with my nice camera again and not my phone but this is easy and convienent, plus my nice camera has a dead battery. I know, I know, excuses.

So, what started out at a giant overgrown section of hostas ended up being over 25 different plants that lined the entire north side of our house (minus the porch, we're leaving that area empty for now) and then the entire south side "dead area" of our porch. I'd love to have put some in our back yard but Krypto is a plant killer.

Here are the beautiful hostas from a picture taken during a year that didn't include triple digit heat waves and severe droughts. I hope they return to this some day!


This shot shows that there are lots of other things growing where my hostas are. We've since removed all the random trees, the rosebush, and weeds. It'll be tilled up and replanted next year after we figure out the future arbor and fence to go around Lily's Garden.

 Here's what the area looks like this year. Horrible, right?! And please excuse the ugly blue tub. We have gutter issues and that collects the water that leaks. And that's the base of my grandmother's bird bath that we disassembled for the fall.

Here's the empty, pitiful spot along the north side of our house where Lily's Garden is. It's since been cleaned up and things properly put away in the garage to make room for the hostas. Well, except the hose rack 'cause I'll water again. The line of rocks were in place of a nasty, ugly ground cover that once was down the length of the house. A few years ago we got the rocks for free from my dad's work and put them there, knowing we'd get to the garden eventually. The rocks are going to be edged with the remaining bricks eventually to keep them in place. The grass will all be removed and mulch (maybe some day pea gravel) will be in its place as a way to walk through the garden.

And here are the hostas lined up against the north side of the house (reverese angle, sorry for the confusion). Don't get me started on the ugly wires. We pulled one down that wasn't attached anymore. One is cable, the other is electrical and may be the missing wire that works our street light in our front yard (that's never worked!).

Here's a clump I put in the front yard by our flag. I since repositioned the flag into the pot behind it, adding more height to the area and making it easier to see. This front garden will hopefully some day be my moon garden (all white flowers, silver and varigated plants) but it's a hodge podge of stuff right now. It's not high on the list, although I'd like to add more too it next year.

And here's the south side of our front porch where we put the remaining rocks and lined with concrete stones a few months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading The Brick Bungalow! Please feel free to leave comments, I always look forward to them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...