{Back Yard} Rock Garden


Once upon a time, 10 years ago, I had a rock garden with pretty cacti and succulents. 

The building above is the back of our garage. It's an extension and only part of it has the fake brick siding (that looks like shingles). The entire garden itself has concrete borders and we removed the rotten wood (minus one very stubborn post). 


Then life happened.


I'm not going to lie guys, sometimes I miss when this garden was a cactus garden and not our vegetable garden. The only surviving plants are some of the sedum and the hens and chicks. 

Everything else died (thankfully for the prickly pear!). 


So let's take a walk down memory lane, ok?





The prickly pear, above, was the original plant in the garden. It took up over 1/3 of the whole space and was a nightmare to deal with. We ended up removing all but the few pieces in the pot. Those few pieces eventually grew to fill the pot. We kept it until the pot basically fell apart and it had popped one too many balls for our kids. We no longer have one piece of it, thankfully. It's a fun, pretty plant if in the right spot (like my neighbor's driveway or at my parents' house) but not in my backyard. 



One of my favorites, above, was the flapjack cactus (succulent?). Our local nursery still sells them and it *almost* came home with me the other day. I'm seriously running out of room though so I'm not sure where it would go in the winter. 


Let me tell you about the flower, above... it was horrible. Beautiful, but smelled like death. We knew that going in but hearing it and smelling it were two different things. It eventually died and I'll never have another again. Pretty though. 





I think next summer I'll make a spot somewhere for some more cacti. I have no idea where they will live in the winter, but I'll find a place. I want another big, tall one like the photo above (you can see the full shot of it at the top of this post). 

Do you have cacti? Succulents? We have a lot of sedum and a few cacti throughout our yard and house but I can always fit in more, right??





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading The Brick Bungalow! Please feel free to leave comments, I always look forward to them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...