{Deck} Reveal

Hello! I'm breaking up the backyard garden posts to show off our back deck. We built it two years ago and by we, I mean Doug, my dad and my cousin Pat (who was working for my dad). I was pregnant and it was hot out. This is Missouri after all. Six-ish months pregnant and summer heat and humidity are not meant for each other. 

2013, when the deck was built, was a busy year for us! Our guest/junk room got turned into Lily's big girl room and her nursery was switched to Nate's room, plus we got a new deck and I made progress in Lily's Garden as well with the creation of the new flower bed that runs near the driveway, plus planting some of our hydrangeas and installing a fence in Lily's Garden. I've shown most of that, but in the past two years, I've never shown our deck. 

Our deck is outside of our back porch and connects our porch (that's right off the kitchen) to our backyard patio. We originally had a nasty, old, broken set of concrete stairs that you walked directly onto - no landing or anything. Not anymore! 


The chairs need new cushions but aren't too bad without them. The chairs came from Target years and years ago. So did the matching table. They are made to look like wicker but are plastic (I guess). They came with a maroon-ish cushion that faded and needs updated. We normally leave them off. The little yellow and white chairs (luckily I bought two years ago!) came from Lowe's. I'd love to give them a makeover. The ceramic pots came from our local nursery and I've had them for years. They are a beautiful purple color, plus copper and others. 


I recently added the string of lights. I bought them years ago at Target and they've sat in the boxes since. They may be moved but for now I like the fun pop of color they add. We've had a lot in those container gardens over the past two years - typically annuals and herbs, but I've also put baby garden plants to get them started before we get to fixing up our vegetable garden. 


Above shows Doug's grill (a big improvement over the rusty one seen here) and it overlooks Lily's Garden behind the trellis. This is the trellis that was added to keep my dog, Zoey, from jumping over the 6' privacy fence (the deck is raised but the drop to the other side is 6') and to have additional room for my climbing hydrangea to grow. It's almost there (as seen here). 


We keep it pretty simple out here. We have our two dogs that play like crazy out here and then our two kids too. We can sit up here and watch them play…. well, once Nate's a bit more independent anyway! The deck overlooks the rest of the back yard, so some day we can watch them play on our trampoline, ride around on our patio, or play on the swing set. 

We are definitely using this area more! It's so nice!

Sharing at: The Creative Circle - Week 19

1 comment:

  1. That's some great work done there on your back deck. Looks cozy enough for me to easily relax with a good book. Should you decide to update the look, I'll be looking forward to see what you guys could come up with. Cheers!

    Carl Morton @ Aio Homes

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading The Brick Bungalow! Please feel free to leave comments, I always look forward to them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...